Translation of Documents

  • If an applicant would like to submit original documents which are not in English language, officially certified translations into English have to be provided in addition to the original. This is likely to apply to official documents and to university diplomas and transcripts (documents No. 2, 5 and 6 in the list of application documents), but also to optional documents (No. 11).
  • Officially certified translation means that the translation has been done by a sworn and officially accredited translator and that the document has to bear the translator’s stamp of accreditation. For countries where accredited translators do not hold such a stamp of accreditation, in most cases a public notary can confirm the translators accreditation.
  • For university documents, it is also possible to ask the issuing university to provide a certified translation into English. In this case, the university should apply its stamp on the translated document.
  • For the copy of passport/personal identification card (document No. 2):
    This should be an official identification document including a photograph and personal data like first name, surname and date and place of birth. This data should be described in English language (like in passports).
    If this data is NOT described in English language or if the document does NOT use the Latin alphabet at all, an officially certified translation into English has to be provided as well.

Please check the Legalization of Foreign Documents in Higher Education requirements from your country.  If you are required to provide full diplomatic legalization, you should contact the Austrian Embassy or Consulate in your country to find out more about the translation requirements. Legalization is NOT required to apply, but must be verified by June 1 of the intake year.